We are right on the heels of Thanksgiving, my absolute 100% hands down favorite holiday of the year. This will be our 3rd year hosting in our teensy weensy cozy house – something I really love doing. Sure, I would like to have a Downton Abbey-sized castle with rooms we can ‘move through’ and fireplaces we can plot marriages by.
Instead we all squeeze around our IKEA-via-Craigslist table and I pull out all of our beautiful wedding china and the fancy tabletop items I’ve collected and inherited over the years. We reach and laugh and pass plates and pig out instead. It’s way more fun.
Leading up to the day, the planning and prepping is one of my favorite parts. Each year I try to make things easier and more streamlined without compromising deliciousness.
Last year we switched to a Potluck Thanksgiving which worked really well since our relatives are all avid cooks. James and I make the turkey, mashed potatoes and a few apps, and everyone else brings one side dish (or beer). Our tummies are full and our faces are smiley. After dinner James’ extended family joins us for dessert, which we do cocktail style.
This week’s links are all about The Game Plan.
With the holidays right on our tails, now is a good time to put the finishing touches on your living space, pick up a couple things for entertaining, stock up on hostess gifts or get ready to deck the halls.
IKEA is a great place to hit up for inexpensive extras and essentials. I was there last week and came across some great stuff so I put together these roundups for you broken into groups of 5 Favs.
5 Favs for the Living Room:
- Cozy up a dark corner of your entertaining space with this floor lamp. Hektar Floor Lamp, $69.99
- Break up your seating arrangement – to allow for better conversation – with this small arm chair. Ekenaset Chair, $199
- Refresh your space with cabin-y pillow covers in this buffalo check fabric. Berta Ruta Fabric, $8.99/yard
- Don’t hide your good china or collection of travel clocks. Displaying your favorite things can lead to good conversation. Fabrikor Glass Cabinet, $199
- Layer a colorful rug over a well worn space for a strategic pop of color. PS Flatweave Rug, $129
5 Favs for the Kitchen:
- Set out inexpensive tumblers for guests to make their own cocktails. Pokal Tumblers, $1.49 each
- Add sophisticated color to your holiday table with these lucite settings. Dito 20-piece Flatware Set, $14.99
- You can use this baby everywhere – in the kitchen for extra storage or as a bar cart at the door. Raskog Kitchen Cart, $49.99
- I would prefer to make my gravy in a cute mint green saucepan this year. Kastrull Saucepan with Lid, $19.99
- You can never have too many pots this size and shape over the holidays. Trust me. Kastrull Pot with Lid, $24.99
5 Favs for Hostess Gifts:
- These paper napkins are so posh, who needs good linens? Fanigt Paper Napkins, $1.99/pack
- Wrap your favorite host in cozy knitted warmth with this chunky throw. Vinter Throw, $29.99
- Bring your cookies or hors d’oeuvres on a tray your hostess will want to hang on to. Barbar Tray, $6.99
- Good for friends with kids, this design-minded memory game will be a regular on Family Game Night. Bevisa Card Game, $9.99
- You can’t go wrong stuffing a cute basket with wine and fruit or bread and cheese – or all four! Gaddis Baskets, $4.99 each
5 Favs for the Holidays:
- Who wouldn’t feel gay and bright with these guys hanging around?! Vintermys Glass Owl Ornaments, $7.99/2 pack
- Upgrade your holiday packaging with these dapper bows. Vintermys Bows, $1.99/4 pack
- A classic vintage spire at a 1950’s price, yes please! Vintermys Tree Spire, $1.99
- Glam it up this year at the holiday table with this runner. Vinterfint Table Runner, $9.99
- Ice for your tree. Enough said. Vintermys Hanging Gems, $3.99/set of 8