When summer starts to get in full swing, life gets pretty schweaty and the last thing you want to do is turn on a burner in your kitchen. That’s why summer is the best time of year to get crazy with dips, spreads, salsas and relishes. Cold hard flavor bringin’ the heat.
Here are two favs on steady rotation for parties, BBQ’s or just dinnertime on the deck.
Pineapple Salsa with Blue Corn Chips
In a medium bowl, toss together the following ingredients:
- ½ pineapple, diced
- ½ white onion, minced
- 1 jalepeño pepper, minced (for a mild salsa, remove the seeds and ribs and use ½ pepper)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (or to taste)
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
Serve with blue corn chips. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Garlicky Herbed White Bean Dip with Flatbreads
In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process until smooth:
- 1 15 oz. can of white beans (I use cannellini but you can use any white bean)
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- cayenne pepper to taste (optional)*
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoons of fresh herbs (I used dill, mint and parsley for a mediterranean flavor)**
Serve drizzled with olive oil alongside store-bought flatbreads, pita triangles, crackers or crudite.
*You can swap out the cayenne pepper with other spices to change up the flavor. Try cumin for a dip closer to hummus or paprika for a smoky taste.
**Likewise, you can use other combinations of fresh herbs for a variation on the flavor. Rosemary is delicious with the lemon juice and rustic bread. Or try basil and red pepper flakes for an Italian spin.
¡Bona Salut! Loveyoubye, Mags