I hope everyone does something they love this weekend, while remembering all of the brave men and women who have protected our freedom to do what we love. Not trying to bust out a guilt trip. It just feels good to pause and appreciate. There’s a lot to thank them for. Here are my Memorial Day links:
- Did you know that poppies are the flower of remembrance on Memorial Day? It all goes back to this poem from 1915. Poppies!
- Poppies have also inspired interiors for decades and were especially popular in the 1970’s when Margaret Thatcher was Britain’s Prime Minister. Poppies were her fav. I put together a Pinterest board to give you some poppy inspiration! To make your poppies really POP (har har), pair them with neutrals or blues.
- I posted this link on my Facebook Page yesterday, but in case you missed it, the Jealous Curator is now curating an online shop! YES. I’m jealous of the Jealous Curator.
- This week I visited the National Stationery Show where there were some really inspiring things happening. My cousin-in-law Maiko Shimizu’s booth for her stationery line Letter Collective Brooklyn was particularly bad ass. Shop the collection here! I love her chintz animal notecards. Tell all your friends.
- I also took a swing through the Kip’s Bay Decorator Show House (going on through the end of May in NYC). Amazing things were happening in there, including black vinyl + chintz fabric walls, metallic accents on concrete range hoods, sparkly ceilings with glass skull objets and console tables based on the Blood of Christ. If you’re around, just GO. They won’t let you take pics so you’ll just have to take my word for it.
- Oh also, on a totally unrelated note, let’s take a moment to be thankful for the full facial eye roll – one of life’s greatest gifts.
Happy Memorial Day, all. I hope you feel awesome in your bikini this weekend. I know you worked hard all winter drinking whiskey and eating cheese like me, so you’ve earned it. Let ‘er rip!